"I've done more harm by the falseness of trying to please than by the honesty of trying to hurt." - Jessamyn West, writer
How many times have we done things we really didn't want to do because we thought it would please a family member or a loved one? And, after we were done, how many times did it backfire on us and turn out worse than we thought it ever could?
If you're like me, the answer is many, many times. When we attempt to compromise with friends and family, the important thing to remember is to let go of any expectations we may have of the outcomes. When I choose to go along with what my friends want to do, I must take responsibility for my choice. Resentment has a tendency to creep in if I am not careful and that causes conflict in many cases.
In healthy relationships with family, friends, and significant others, everyone gives and takes a little. Sometimes a person needs to give a little more and sometimes a person needs to receive a little more. It takes practice to learn how to voice your opinion without fearing rejection and ridicule. It is worth the effort to practice doing this. Honesty beats falseness every time.
Today I will express my ideas honestly to others and I will compromise when necessary. I will accept my friends and family just as they are and I will live my life knowing they accept me as I am as well. I am grateful.
BLUE SKIES LIFE COACHING
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.