Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Don't Take Away Dreams

"There are many ways of breaking a heart. Stories were full of hearts being broken by love, but what really broke a heart was taking aways its dream - whatever that dream might be." - Pearl S. Buck, novelist and humanitarian

When I was a little girl, I would fantasize about my Prince Charming coming to take me away from my drab little life so I could live "happily ever after".  It never happened.  I continued to dream about being rescued as I entered my young adult years and on into my twenties and early thirties.  By the time I reached age 35, I had no dreams or fantasies left.  I felt hopeless, emotionally drained, and helpless.  Then something amazing happened.

I asked for help.  That was all I had to do.  That was the amazing thing.  I felt as if I had hit a bottom from which I could never recover.  My dreams had not come true and I felt very alone in this big world.  But when I asked for help, some amazing things started to happen for me.  I found out that I was simply not focusing on the things that were important - God, my family, my friends.  I was focusing on attaining material possessions so that I could be happy inside - more money, more attention, an exciting love interest etc.   It took some time and work to dig down and recognize that this would never work.  My perception didn't get better overnight.  But it did get much, much better as the years went by.  And it continues to get better every day.

I have dreams again but they are completely different from the ones I had when I was younger.  I have hope, faith, and trust that God is leading me exactly where I need to go to fulfill every one of them today.  Thank you God!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.