Saturday, March 10, 2012

"None Of My Business"

"What other people think of me is none of my business." - Eleanor Roosevelt, first lady (1933 - 1945) and reform leader

I have heard this many times over the years. I had no idea that it was Eleanor Roosevelt who said it though. She was absolutely right on track - it is none of my business what anyone thinks of me. That does not mean I don't get caught up in this from time to time - my ego tends to have a mind of its own.

I always wanted to be liked by everyone I ever met. I wanted this so badly that I would attempt to be anything I thought you wanted me to be just so you would like me. I would agree to go to events I didn't really want to attend, I would watch whatever TV show was suggested by friends in order to keep the peace, and I would always allow others to suggest what movies to see so that I wouldn't pick the "wrong" movie and rock the boat or get laughed at by others.

Needless to say, this was a tough way to live and I never succeeded in getting everyone to like me anyway. I have since given up this hopeless game. I struggled for years living this way and I ended up not knowing anything about myself because I was always deferring to other people's opinions. At a certain point, I realized I knew nothing about me and I began to change how I interacted with my friends. It took time and practice, but gradually I have come to know more about myself and I am accepted by my friends, even when I choose to express my personal opinions.

So, for the record, I remind myself of the above statement whenever necessary. It reminds me that I am my own person, that I'm entitled to my own likes and dislikes, and that I can accept myself and others just the way we are. What other people think of me really isn't any of my business and that is the way I plan to keep it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.