Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Don't Mistake Doing For Being

"As women, we have a great challenge to not become over-identified in our roles, whether as mother, grandmother, career woman, or wife. It's easy in our culture to mistake doing for being." - Kristine Carlson, best-selling author

Over the years, the role of the woman has changed dramatically.  My mother was a stay-at-home mom when I was growing up but that wasn't to be for me.  I worked full-time after I had my two children and it was chaotic. I did a lot of "doing" back then but I'm not sure if I was "being" anything in particular at all.

This topic of doing vs. being has been a challenge to me for many years.  I've struggled in the past with being either very lazy or super busy as a direct result of this dilemma.  Seeking balance in my life was never a consideration.  I desperately wanted to be all things to all people but then I would wear myself out to the point where I'd just go home after work and do absolutely nothing at all.  I didn't have any idea of how to manage all of the responsibilities I had voluntarily agreed to do.  I simply drove myself crazy trying to figure out a solution.

In recent years, I've learned that "being" is a beautiful thing.  Slowing down for five or ten minutes every day and breathing in and out purposefully helps quiet my body and my mind.  That's when God speaks to me.  That's when I get the ideas, thoughts, and images that motivate me to improve my life.  I've learned to listen for God's answers to my prayers.  They always come, if I'm still.

I must note here that I am amazed at how the Universe recognizes when I'm struggling because these quotes always appear at the exact right moment! I often wonder how this can be orchestrated so perfectly. There can only be one right answer - something greater than me is out there taking care of me every minute of every day.  Within the past ten days, I've been very busy "doing" instead of "being".  So, I think I'll take some time today to sit still, be quiet, and listen for God's answers.  Just like many days throughout the year, I'm so grateful this calendar can help keep me focused on the important things today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.