Tuesday, March 29, 2011

I Just Show Up

"Hope begins in the dark, the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come." - Anne Lamott, political activist and writer

I am a stubborn woman and I have always been stubborn, very stubborn. One of my biggest challenges is that I find it much more important to be right than to be happy at times.  This has been my downfall for a long time. In fact, I've been told in the past that I sometimes can be like a dog with a bone - I'm not giving up for anything!

But sometimes, it's a good thing to be stubborn.  Sometimes, I need to hold onto that hope in the dark for dear life.  I need to remember that life is changing constantly and that nothing lasts forever. I've heard it said that if I suit up and show up, the rest will fall into place. I believe that because I've experienced that firsthand. I've been taught by some wonderful friends that I am to take each day as it comes, do the next right thing throughout that day, and know that the God of my understanding is going to bring me through to that dawn referred to in this quote.

It's not my place to predict the future or know what's coming down the road. I just need to be the best "Kathleen" I can be today and the pieces will all come together beautifully. There may be pain in the process, but I assure you it has definitely been worth it. I'm blessed and grateful today, for the good and the bad. I could not ask for anything more. And, in the meantime, I'm going to focus on being happy rather than on being right. It's a much better way to live life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.