Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Staying In The Moment

"Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson, 19th century poet

All I really have is right now, this moment, and nothing else.  On any given day I can miss out on precious moments because I'm too busy worrying about what happened yesterday or last week.  Or I could miss out on beauty right in front of me because I'm preoccupied with what might happen in the near or long-term future.  In either case, I'm missing the events happening as they happen because my mind gets so cluttered with past and present worries, real and imagined.

I've heard the following phrase many times:  98% of what we worry about never happens anyway!  Ain't that the truth!  I used to be much worse - I worried about everything throughout the day.  I recognized this defect in me but didn't know what to do about it.  It turns out that all I needed to do was to remember that God is big enough to handle all of my troubles today.  I don't need to fret for one instant about not having the strength or courage or fortitude to face anything that comes my way.  I will get the appropriate help and guidance from God as I need it.  Once I realized that this was true for me, I began to enjoy each day fully - even the difficult days.

As my friends have taught me, I don't tell God how big my problems are anymore.  I tell my problems how big my God is today.  That allows me to have a lot more "now" moments.

Today I will remain in the moment and I will release my need to worry about what has not happened yet. I am grateful for the chance to practice this on a daily basis. Life is so good today.

Start writing today! Click here for more information on sharing articles with other writers!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.