"A long marriage is two people trying to dance a duet and two solos at the same time." - Anne Taylor Fleming, journalist
Trying to dance a duet and a solo at the same time is not easy. In fact, it sounds rather complicated. But I rather like this description of what a long-term relationship entails. It's tricky to do both but it can be done I suppose.
I admire those who have remained married over a long period of time and have been able to grow closer together throughout the years. I realize that every relationship has its ups and downs - sometimes significant ups and downs - but to ultimately remain happily together is impressive to me.
Marriage isn't easy. There are many who have been in long-term marriages but haven't been able to remain happy throughout. Human beings struggle with conflict and personality issues and other things as well. So when I meet a couple and they tell me they've been together for a long time, I smile. I smile because I know they've walked through so much in order to remain a couple. It's not my place to judge how they walked through their journey or how happy they might be. It's just my place to love them. The rest is between them and their Higher Power.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.