"I paint my own reality. The only thing I know is that I paint because I need to, and I paint whatever passes through my head without any other consideration." - Frida Kahlo, artist
I've never been a painter but I have been doing some writing and public speaking and I understand what Ms. Kahlo is getting at here. In order for me to do the best job that I can do, I must speak and write from the heart. That includes writing and say whatever passes through my head too.
Now that I have some experience under my belt, I can honestly say that I don't do much formal preparation when I'm getting ready to speak to a group of people. I will admit that I pray quite a bit (insert smile here) but I don't usually write my thoughts down because I don't want it to appear as if I'm reading from a script with no emotional input. When I'm asked to speak, it's to share my life experience with others. As a life coach and as a member of a 12-step recovery program, I've had several opportunities to share about what my life has been like so far. I'm eternally grateful for these opportunities because as I share with others, I learn more about myself. It seems to be helpful for those who are there to listen as much as it helps me.
So, since I don't paint, I think I'm going to continue to write and speak my own reality. I will continue to give consideration to one aspect of my sharing - I want to always consider other people's feelings before I share my opinions with anyone. My purpose is always to help others and being kind is a part of the help I offer now.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.