"There is a thin line that separates laughter and pain, comedy and tragedy, humor and hurt." - Erma Bombeck, columnist
Finding the humor in a situation and laughing rather than crying has been a gift for me. I know that we all have had tragedies to face in our lives and it isn't always appropriate to make a joke out of them. But there have been times when I have found relief by seeing the funny side of a serious set of circumstances.
Time does help heal my wounds. When some time has gone by, I'm usually able to see the humor in any experience I have walked through. I went through a difficult divorce at one time yet now I can look back and see the humor in some of our biggest battles and recognize how my thinking may have been way off track at the time. I can laugh at some of the bad choices I have made over the years without feeling the need to beat myself up time and time again. I have made mistakes; I have learned from them; I have moved on.
Back in 1989 I made a decision to move 1,500 miles aways from where I was living because I thought location was the answer to all of my problems. That idea always makes me laugh today because I found out soon enough that my problems were created by me so it didn't really matter where I lived. I quickly learned the phrase "everywhere I went, there I was" and that is my truth. This huge move ended up being an incredible blessing in my life but it took me years to find the humor in this and to be able to laugh at how I got here.
So, for today, I will seek to find the laughter, comedy, and humor in my life. It brings me joy, peace, and serenity. I am grateful.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.