Saturday, April 7, 2012

Unfed Hope

"What we call our despair is often only the painful eagerness of unfed hope." - George Eliot, nineteenth-century novelist

I always feel hopeful these days. However, I never thought of despair as an eagerness of any sort. I like the phrasing in this quote.

Despair in the past drove me to take action but in an unhealthy way. I came to a point in my life where nothing seemed to matter anymore. There was a moment, however, when the gift of desperation brought me to my knees and I became willing to reach out for help - the kind of help that would lead me back to sanity and peaceful living. When I think back to my moment of clarity, that gift of desperation, I can see where it just might have been the "painful eagerness of unfed hope". It's a beautiful description of what I was going through at the time. I just never thought of it this way.

So, if you are in the grips of despair, think of it as an eagerness within you to feed hope. As long as there is breath in me, there is hope. I believe this to be true for every human being on the planet. Blessings to all. May we all help each other to eagerly feed that hope within.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.