Thursday, April 26, 2012

To Be Senstive

"Beware of men who cry. It's true that men who cry are sensitive to and in touch with feelings, but the only feelings they tend to be sensitive to and in touch with are their own." - Nora Ephron, director, producer, and writer


Okay, this is not one of my favorite quotes. But it's in the calendar I use, so I'm going to move forward and post my thoughts about it here anyway.

I don't agree with this at all. I have known men who were taught from an early age that crying was not an option. They were taught to be "tough" and "strong". So they ended up stuffing many of their emotions and sometimes even ended up exploding in anger as a result.

I don't pretend to know everything, but I do know that it isn't fair to categorize everyone in the same way. Everyone is different and unique. But we are all allowed to cry in order to release the sadness or disappointment we may be feeling at any given time. Personally, I don't think it's necessary to single out men in a negative way. I've known quite a few women who are only sensitive and in touch with their own feelings too.

Today, I pray that I will be open and honest with those I come in contact with today. If anyone is shedding tears, I pray that I may comfort them without judgment. And so it is.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.