Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Measured By Moments

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away." - Maya Angelou, poet, educator, historian, best-selling author, and activist 


Maya Angelou has such a beautiful way of getting my attention. There have been so many moments that have taken my breath away that I have lost count. I feel blessed and grateful to be able to say that. It's made my life rich and exciting and worth living.

I'm also reminded that I used to feel as if I was just existing and barely surviving life. I was doing the best I could do to get through each day but it was a struggle. I realized that the struggle started with my thinking. I used to think I would be happy some day in the future when I had everything that I could imagine would make me happy. When I had enough money, everything would be better. When I met the perfect man, all would be well. This kind of thinking got me nowhere. I was unhappy and I had no idea that I was the one causing this misery.

I got to the point where I knew I needed to change but it wasn't an overnight process. I don't need material things to bring me happiness. I've found a joy in spending time with friends and helping where I can help. My priorities have changed and ironically I've become happier and more peaceful.

Today I will be sure to measure my life by the moments that take my breath away. I am grateful.


MORE ARTICLES BY K KERSWIG

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.